La ataxia It is a very serious disease that affects several animals, including young cats. Thus, if you have a kitten that has suddenly started to tremble, or if he walks as if he were drunk, it is very likely that he has it.
Let us know what this disease consists of and what are its main symptoms.
Ataxia is a disorder of the nervous system that characterized by the sudden onset of impaired muscle coordination, either from the extremities and / or from the eyes. Also, keep in mind that there are 3 different types:
- Entrance exam: when it causes problems in the inner ear or in some nerves that go from this part of the body to the brain. Kittens that suffer from it will have their heads on one side, will move their eyes from one side to the other, and can fall to one side.
- Cerebellar: caused by problems in the cerebellum, which is a part of the brain that is responsible for controlling balance and coordination of movement. Animals that suffer from it may walk with their legs apart, and have trouble making calculations that help them jump the distance and with the appropriate force.
- Sensory: caused by problems in the brain, spinal cord or peripheral nerves responsible for detecting the location of the extremities. These kittens walk with their legs widely spread.
There are many causes, but the most commons are:
- Muscle, orthopedic or other problems that affect brain function
- Weakness, either from anemia, dehydration, or another illness
Is there treatment?
Regrettably there is still no cure for ataxia. But the symptoms are treated, helping the cat to have a better quality of life. Therefore, if your little one has any of the aforementioned symptoms, you should take him to the vet to examine him and determine the cause of his illness, in order to give him the most appropriate treatment as the case may be.