According to the WHO currently, there is no evidence that pets such as dogs and cats have infected humans with Covid-19. So if you have pets in your home like a cat, You do not have to get rid of it or think that it is a danger to your health or that of your family, your animals cannot infect you with the coronavirus, so you can be calm about this.
In any case, below we will explain what measures you have to take both for the safety of your cat and your own.
Table of Contents
- 1 It is always good to take precautions
- 2 Tips for families with pets
It is always good to take precautions
The revised posture comes from an infected dog found in Hong Kong. The dog tested positive after staying with his owners who were sick with the virus. The dog did not show any clinical signs of the disease, according to a report of the World Organization for Animal Health. There is no evidence that dogs or cats can spread disease or that disease can cause an animal to get sick, the organization says, although other studies may bring new findings.
The organization advises owners of pets infected or susceptible to becoming infected with the coronavirus to avoid close contact with their pets and to have another member of the household care for the animals. If you must take care of your pet, you should maintain good hygiene practices and wear a face mask if possible.
Tips for families with pets
Here are some of the most important recommendations if you have a cat (or dog) at home during the entire public health crisis that is causing the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We give you these tips thanks to the kindness of the Official College of Veterinarians of Madrid and the Complutense University of Madrid.
They first make it clear that there is no scientific evidence that animals transmit the coronavirus, information that can undoubtedly leave many owners of these animals calmer, especially the dogs that go out for a walk and touch everything and the cats. that leave and enter the home. We are going to talk about the measures that you comment to take it into account.
General preventive measures for anyone
First they talk about the general measures for anyone, to take into account the following:
- Wash your hands with soap and water
- Social distancing (confinement in homes)
- Covering your mouth with your elbow when coughing
- Do not touch eyes, nose and / or mouth
These measures to take into account must always be carried out, regardless of the coronavirus:
- After touching the animals, wash your hands with soap and water.
- After touching the animals, do not touch your nose, eyes and / or mouth.
If you have the misfortune of having contracted the Coronavirus and you have pets, it is important that you follow the following measures:
- It is advisable to leave the care of your pet to someone else temporarily. (But don't abandon them, they are not to blame and they are also part of your family!).
- Do not leave the usual utensils used by the pet with the caretaker.
- If new utensils cannot be obtained, those commonly used by pets should be thoroughly infected.
These measures are designed for all those people who unfortunately have tested positive for the coronavirus but have to continue keeping their pets with them at home while they recover, since they will not have anyone at their disposal to take care of their cats or any other pets, such as dogs:
- Before going to the vet, call by phone to be informed about how to proceed in this situation.
- Always wear a mask in the presence of the animal.
- Although it is difficult, it is very important for the health of your feline or your canine that you avoid direct contact.
- Wash your hands very often.
These are very interesting measures for all people to know. We leave you below the image that summarizes all this information so that you have it in a more visual way and even, so that you can print it and you can put it in a visible place. Click here! to se her.