La cough It is an involuntary act caused by irritation either in the throat or in the bronchial tubes. Cats, like us, cough to try to expel what has caused this reflex, be it foreign objects, viruses or bacteria if they are sick, grass, or even smoke, among others. But they can also cough if their collar is too tight.
Often the cough in cats is a symptom of some disease, so let's see what are the causes and their treatment.
Main causes of cough in cats
- Respiratory disease: It is one of the most common causes: if the cat coughs and sneezes and has watery eyes, it is most likely that he has a respiratory problem, such as an allergy or a cold. But if instead of sneezing what you hear is like "whistling", or if you have difficulty breathing, it is a symptom of asthma.
- Parasites and fungi: If the cat coughs sporadically, and is listless, with little appetite and if it is also losing weight, it may have parasites, such as worms, or fungi.
- Heart problems: Heart problems can also cause a cat to cough.
Treatment of cough in cats
Whenever it is suspected that the furry has a serious health problem, especially if it is losing appetite and / or weight, and if it has breathing problems, it is important to take him to the vet for examinationWell, as I have seen, you could have a serious illness, such as asthma or heart problems.
Now, if the cough is short-lived and the animal leads a normal life, then we can treat it at home, but without giving it medicine for humans. Never self-medicate a catWell, there are many - including aspirin - that can be toxic. What we can do is:
- Clean your eyes and nose often with a gauze pad soaked in warm water.
- Provide water abundant.
- Keep home to one nice tempeture.
And, of course, give him a lot of pampering so that he recovers soon 🙂.